It’s experiment time! A sign that I am clearly not doing my homework. Except I am. I could do more, but that is the perpetual story of graduate school, no matter how hard you are or are not working.
So. Tofu Burgers. Yes. I tried this. Tastes a bit like chicken.
8 oz tofu, cubed (small cubes!)
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp chipotle chili sauce
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
3 tbsp soy sauce
Water to fill rest of container
Put all things into a glass jar. Fill with water. Shake. Let marinate overnight.
For the rest of the recipe you’ll need:
1/2 cup wheat gluten
1 cup bread crumbs (I used panko… because that’s what I had)
3 tbsp olive oil
1/8 cup dry herbs of your liking (I used sage, cilantro and oregano)
Preheat oven to broil.
1. Drain the tofu, but reserve the liquid.
2. Put the tofu and the wheat gluten into your handy-dandy food processor.
3. Turn on until it is so well blended, it becomes a single dough ball
4. Put into a large bowl.
5. Add all other ingredients and knead for a few minutes.
6. Let sit ten minutes
7. Form into patties.
8. Cover a cookie sheet with oil of your choice (I used olive, but safflower would have been better for the heat)
9. Put patties on cookie sheet and pour oil on top of them
10. Put in oven, broil about 8 minutes, flip.
11. Broil about 2 minutes, add buns if you’d like to toast them.
I used the remaining marinade liquid to steam some carrots and kale (added the corn from last night too) and served with pasta on the other side with a simple faux cream sauce. Probably more carbs than need be, but it was good.